- Discrimination based on age, sex, race, color, national origin, disability, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity
- Harassment based on any of the above characteristics
- Discrimination or harassment based on your association with someone of a different race (such as having a spouse, boyfriend, or child of another race)
- Retaliation because you have opposed or made a complaint about illegal discrimination or harassment
- Retaliation because you have done something that you are legally required or entitled to do
Discrimination includes actions like being disciplined, fired, demoted, not hired, or not promoted. Harassment usually refers to experiences at work that make your work life troublesome or create a hostile work environment. Discrimination and harassment are against the law when done on the basis of your personal characteristics listed above.